The day we got home from St Louis Houston started running a pretty high
fever. The next day he started getting bumps on his hands and feet. He
had Hand Foot & Mouth Disease. 

Then on Wednesday Heath started with the super high fever too.
They both slept really well that first day with the fever, but then hardly slept at all for a few days following.
Houston went 3 days with only one 30 min nap, and woke up at least every hour at night just crying and crying. He had some pretty nasty blisters on the back of his throat that I think was the main culprit.
Heath had the throat a little eaiser, but had a lot more blisters on his hands and feet, he also got them around his mouth and shins and thighs. He kept saying, "Mommy, Heath sick" "I got owies" I guess the blisters must be pretty painful. Poor little guys.
We learned a few things during this ordeal. Ibuprofen works much better for this pain than Tylenol. Make sure you have lots of "popci-colds" on hand. (or a way to make them)
Really the only "health concern" with this illness is dehydration, so make sure you have a lot of juice or milk to bribe the kiddo's into drinking something. Sleep while they sleep. You will be exhausted! They are contagious until all the blisters are gone, so try get used to staying home for a while.
While we were home we made houses out of our many packing boxes, coloured lots of pictures,
Watched movies, played horsies, rolled balls around,
Played Dr, sang songs, took naps, danced,
And took a walk almost every night they were up for it.
Yesterday we went to the grocery store. It was our first time out of the house in 11 days! It was marvelous!
(speaking of marvelous, thanks so much for letting us borrow your stroller!)
(speaking of marvelous, thanks so much for letting us borrow your stroller!)








3 comments:
oh my goodness, those poor boys! eleven days! I hope everyone is getting caught up on sleep now and is feeling better!
I didn't know until Michelle told me at swim practice on monday. I'm so sorry for you.
Glad you are starting to be well again!!
those boys look so cute in the stroller!
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Both of my boy got it just before Christmas. It was miserable... sadly we passed it on to friends before we knew.
I'm glad you got through it and hope you can all catch up on your sleep.
Post a Comment