July 18, 2012

We didn't shoot off any fireworks this year for the 4th. Just ate good food and played games with family. It was probably the best 4th I've had. No worrying about who's going to get shot by this or that. It was so relaxing and enjoyable.

 It allowed me to reflect a bit on my feelings about America.


"My country, 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing; Land where my fathers died, Land of the pilgrims' pride, From every mountain side Let freedom ring!
My native country, thee, Land of the noble free, thy name I love; I love they rocks and rills, They woods and templed hills. My heart with rapture thrills Like that above.
Let music swell the breeze and ring from all the trees Sweet freedom's song; Let mortal tongues awake; let all the breathe partake Let rocks their silence break, The sound prolong.
Our father's God, to thee, Author of liberty, to thee we sing; Long may our land be bright With freedom's holy light. Protect us by thy might, Great God, our King!"   
My Country, 'Tis of Thee  text:Samuel F Smith.

I remember standing and singing this as a young girl in church with my Grandma Forsyth. That was probably the first time I remember witnessing patriot love. I remember the joy and love expressed in my Grandma's tone and face. I didn't understand then, and I probably don't fully understand now, just how much she loved this country. I just knew at the time that there was something special about this country and the my Grandma loved it very much.   
Since then I have learned much more about patriotism. I am so grateful for the sacrifices she and other family members have made to teach me these valuable lessons. Learning their stories, as well as others experiences, has taught me so much more to value this Beautiful Country we have been blessed with. 
 Now that I am a mother of two little boys I can't help but think what a sacrifice it was for so many mothers to stand and watch their young sons leave home and go far away to fight. Many of them knowing they would never see their son's again. Watching their sweet baby boys (since that's the only way you can ever think of your boys) sent into such horrible conditions to fight and kill and die. And if they weren't killed, their sweet sons witnessed unthinkable situations, stretching themselves almost to mental destruction.
Today we know so many that serve and sacrifice. They do it all voluntarily, out of love for their country. They sacrifice so much, so that others don't have to.
So many have sacrificed so much! I will be forever grateful. 
"Protect us by thy might, Great God, our King!"

No comments: