February 06, 2012

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” -Albert Einstein

I have a theory, that when a boy turns two there is some kind of a chemical change in his brain that science has not yet found. Just something that makes him, and the way he reacts to the world, a little different.   

Since we went to the Dr a week or so ago Heath has discovered that he has holes in his body. Nose holes and ear holes to be exact. He has been trying to put all kinds of things in them lately. Maybe he's just trying to feed the cows the Dr said were in there. 

Last night we got home pretty late and put Heath right to be after scriptures & prayer. Matt went to bed (since Monday is his earlier day at work) and I got Houston to sleep then showered. I stoked the fire then opened Heath's door expecting to see him sound asleep on his bed. Instead I saw his pajamas thrown on the shelf, and his diaper thrown into Houston's crib. Heath was sitting on his bed looking at a book in his birthday suit and just looked up and smiled that sweet little smile. I got him dressed again and laid down with him. By this time it was about midnight and I was afraid if I let him fall asleep on his own he would end up naked again and run rampant because I was sure that as soon as my head hit my pillow I would be out. So we both laid down on his little bed and he quietly (yes quietly, he was actually whispering!) told me things like, "Mommy bear bear night night. Mommy Houston sleeping. Mommy Heaths bed, two one two. "(which is his way of saying also) while he softly stroked my cheek. It was so sweet. He fell asleep after about 5 minutes. 

Heath has been kinda difficult the past week. Not anything horrible, just moved to tears much faster and pretty mouthy. I have been trying very hard to get it into my head that he is just a little boy and shouldn't be expected to act like an adult yet. When he first started acting like this he spent a lot of time in time out. Which just made things harder on everyone it seems.  My way of dealing with it lately has been when he is just making me almost crazy to grab him and give him a big hug and tell him I love him. We usually both end up laughing and it cuts the tension. I have also been just spending time with him playing, and cleaning the house when he's asleep. Our house may not be quite as clean as normal but I have a happier boy. I guess what President Monson said is true, "Never let a job to be done get in the way of a person to be loved." I have that up on our wall and it has been helping me remember to just love Heathers and give him most of my time. That seems to be what he needs.

1 comment:

deargoodness said...

I agree, two year olds are just something that can't be explained. I hope Heath doesn't lose anything up his nose! I think I'm going to put that quote up by President Monson in my house too, it is wonderful. thank you